The Ultimate Fish Fan Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Ultimate Fish Fan Site

The Ultimate Forum For Fish Addicts!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

10G tank additions!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-01-22

10G tank additions! Empty
PostSubject: 10G tank additions!   10G tank additions! EmptyThu Jan 25, 2007 12:22 pm

As I mentioned in the Introduction section, I am new to fish keeping and was bought a 10G tanks for Christmas. It is all runnning nicely and I did my first water change last night and it all went well. Since that post however I have updatewd the inhabitants. I have increased the number of Neon Tetras to six, I couldn't believe how quickly and easily the new additions were accepted in to the shoal Very Happy Also can't believe how two extra fish can make the shoal just stand out so much more. Shocked

I also added two Dwarf Gourami's, one of which was very nervous at first, but the second one has helped bring him out of his shell. What I was wanting to find out was if I am liable to suffer from algae in my tank even though I have no real plants in there? If I am can anyone suggest a good algae eater that would be happy in a 10G tank? I would rather steer away from snails but would consider shrimp, but ultimately I would prefer a fish.
Back to top Go down
tetrabarb
Trout
Trout
tetrabarb

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-01-16

PostSubject: Re: 10G tank additions!   10G tank additions! EmptyThu Jan 25, 2007 11:45 pm

Some Otocinclus would be good, but your getting a little crowded in there. At least there real small. Live plants would actually help keep away the algae because they out compete it for nutrients.
Back to top Go down
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

PostSubject: Re: 10G tank additions!   10G tank additions! EmptyFri Jan 26, 2007 2:32 am

Thanks for the advice tetrabarb. I am thinking about live plants but I am just a little nervous about introducing them to the tank and what equipment I would need.

I just want maybe two more fish just to have something at the bottom of the tank. But I do take on board your point about stocking, and I will be careful. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tetrabarb
Trout
Trout
tetrabarb

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-01-16

PostSubject: Re: 10G tank additions!   10G tank additions! EmptyFri Jan 26, 2007 3:57 pm

Acceptable Algae Eaters:
Otocinclus-small, prefers green algae
Shrimp, Mollies, Platys-may only eat hair algae

Unacceptable Algae Eaters:
Siamese Algae Eaters-aggressive, may get too big
Chinese Algae Eaters-same as siamese
Back to top Go down
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

PostSubject: Re: 10G tank additions!   10G tank additions! EmptyFri Jan 26, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

I will probably look out for a couple of the otos to be honest. I spoke to the good lady and Shrimps were ruled out! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
dan9807
Mackerel
Mackerel
dan9807

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: 10G tank additions!   10G tank additions! EmptyWed Jan 31, 2007 7:08 am

You'd be surprised at how easy to grow some plants actually are. I recently just planted my 10 gallon(I will get a pic. up), but there are many plants that you can grow without CO2 addition or really bright lighting--all you need to know is where to look. Vallisneria, cryptocorynes as well as wisteria are all relatively easy to grow--but I would suggest researching before you buy any plants--just like fish!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 10G tank additions!   10G tank additions! Empty

Back to top Go down

10G tank additions!
Page 1 of 1