The Ultimate Fish Fan Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Ultimate Fish Fan Site

The Ultimate Forum For Fish Addicts!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Some help required!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Some help required! Empty
PostSubject: Some help required!   Some help required! EmptyWed Mar 28, 2007 1:22 pm

I am about to collect a 29G (UK) or 35G (US) tank. It is going to be my first planted tank. It is a fluval 800 and is L 32" (80cm) X W 14" (35cm) X H 18" (45cm).

I am trying to decide on a few plants to put in the tank and I have afew ideas. But I can't decide exactly what I would like to do. Part of me thinks I would like to try and have a tank based on a region of the world.

My only problem with this is I want to convert my current 10G to a Betta tank and so my new tank ideally needs to house my 2 Dwarf Gourami and 5 Neon Tetra and obviously these are normally not found anywhere near each other.

My other issue is that I can't decide if I want fewer larger fish or lots of smaller fish. Any ideas or help would be great!
Back to top Go down
gadgetgirl
Mackerel
Mackerel
gadgetgirl

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2007-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Some help required!   Some help required! EmptyThu Mar 29, 2007 10:14 pm

Congratulations on getting another, bigger tank! More options. . .

I suppose you could leave the Neons with the Betta; see how well they get on first. Do you have the Betta now? If that works out for you, then you could go ahead and do your 29G as a regional. Otherwise, maybe skip the regional and go with more Neons, keep the Gouramies as your centerpiece fish and do your new tank with a partial sand bottom and get some cories too. (I love cories - mine have been breeding and now I have enough for all three tanks Cool once they are old enough)

What plants do you have in mind? When I had dwarf Gouramies (I have Honey Gouramies now) they made confetti of my Ambulia and built bubble nests galore. Messy to clean up, but they were very happy so I lived with it.
Back to top Go down
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

PostSubject: Re: Some help required!   Some help required! EmptyFri Mar 30, 2007 12:24 pm

I was thinking of converting my 10G to a Betta tank and leaving the Otocinclus in there and maybe adding 3 cories into that tank.

I do like a lot of the cories as well and so I will most likely have some in my new tank. I think I have scrapped the regional idea as I think with the choices I have in my area would make it very difficult to do this.

I will probably increase the number of neons add a group of cories and maybe some Guppies. But I also like so many other fish as well, I really like the look of Notho's but I am struggling to find much out about them.

I think really what I need is to have a 50G tank in every room of my house. then I might stand a chance of having all the fish I want.
Back to top Go down
Unlimitedfishboy
Admin
Unlimitedfishboy

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2007-01-14

PostSubject: New tank   Some help required! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2007 12:27 am

Adding cories is a great idea, since the get along with betts perfectly. Adding guppies could be a problem sometimes, as some bettas nip their fins... Neutral

Although Nothos are pretty, they do best in a species tank because some are quite aggressive. They need peat moss and usually they will only eat live foods. Your betta could lose its tail if you keep it with the wrong species of Nothos. If you want to try to keep these fishes, (they are a bit more difficult to keep than most aquarium fishes) try Nothobranchius rachovii, it's a Notho species for beginners.

Hope these helps!

Unlimitedfishboy
Back to top Go down
https://ultimateaquascape.forumotion.com
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

PostSubject: Re: Some help required!   Some help required! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2007 10:13 am

Thanks for the heads up Unlimitedfishboy. Don't worry though the Nothos and Guppys would be for my new 35G tank. The 10G would only house the Betta, 2 Otos and 3 corys.

I don't think the Nothos will happen as I have never seen any in any of my LFS. Nevermind there are still loads of really good looking fish to choose from.

Also I am thinking of doing a South American themed tank so I have been doing my research on fish and plants for the tank. Should be very interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some help required!   Some help required! Empty

Back to top Go down

Some help required!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Ultimate Fish Fan Site :: Tank Designs-
Jump to: