The Ultimate Fish Fan Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Ultimate Fish Fan Site

The Ultimate Forum For Fish Addicts!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dwarf Guorami

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Dwarf Guorami Empty
PostSubject: Dwarf Guorami   Dwarf Guorami EmptyWed Feb 07, 2007 1:12 pm

Currently in my tank I have two Drawf Guorami. They are lovely fish and for the most part seem to swim around quite happily. However on occasion they tend to swim after each other and look as if they are trying to nip each others fin. No I check the fins regularly and there is no sign of damage. Also it does not seem to be effecting either fish's actions, and they both still feed well and are very active. Are they just playing with each other? Is it just one warding the other from his territory?
Back to top Go down
tetrabarb
Trout
Trout
tetrabarb

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Dwarf Guorami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Guorami   Dwarf Guorami EmptyThu Feb 08, 2007 1:21 am

well...there are many reasons they could be doing that. 1) Yes, they could possibly be staking territories, 2) they may both be males, 3) if they are males and they are making bubble nests they may be fighting over surface space to make their bubble nest, 4) they could be trying to mate and are just playing with eachother. There are some other possibilities, but It doesnt sound like you should worry.
Back to top Go down
dan9807
Mackerel
Mackerel
dan9807

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Dwarf Guorami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Guorami   Dwarf Guorami EmptyThu Feb 08, 2007 6:06 am

yeah--i had that problem too, and still have it with my croaking gouramis. I wouldn't consider it too much of a problem--it is usually not enough to seriously injure the fish--they are probably just staking out territory and especially in a 10 gallon, you will see a lot of that, since it is a relatively small area. I wouldn't worry about it though.
Back to top Go down
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

Dwarf Guorami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Guorami   Dwarf Guorami EmptyThu Feb 08, 2007 11:47 am

tetrabarb wrote:
2) they may both be males, 3) if they are males and they are making bubble nests they may be fighting over surface space to make their bubble nest

I think this may be wat is going on. I have noticed just lately a lot of bubbles at the surface of the water. But if they are both males, which I believe they are, what is the ppoint of them nesting. Or do they do it seasonally?
Back to top Go down
tetrabarb
Trout
Trout
tetrabarb

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Dwarf Guorami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Guorami   Dwarf Guorami EmptyFri Feb 09, 2007 1:27 am

in the breeding season, they wait for a female to show up or they may think the other one is a female and start making a nest for her.
Back to top Go down
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

Dwarf Guorami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Guorami   Dwarf Guorami EmptyFri Feb 09, 2007 2:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. I must confess that the bubbles seem to be reducing in number now. Maybe they have worked out that they are both males!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
gadgetgirl
Mackerel
Mackerel
gadgetgirl

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2007-02-22

Dwarf Guorami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Guorami   Dwarf Guorami EmptyThu Feb 22, 2007 5:53 pm

If both Dwarf Gouramies are brightly coloured, they are males - females are smaller and duller (grey/silver in color). Male Gouramies will build bubble nests irregardless of the presence (or lack of) females; when I had 2 in my 55 G, Destructor Fish, the alpha male, built a new nest almost every week. I had an ample supply of Dwarf Ambulia which is excellent nest building material and he made good use of it - and he got better with practice! His nests became huge. He also chased the other Gourami away from 'his' territory, they would also curl themselves into a half moon shape and chase each other in a little circle.

I also saw the second Gourami steal some nest material from the alpha male - he was in BIG trouble that time! The ensuing chase went all over the 55 - I never saw him do it again after that Laughing guess he learned a lesson!

No one was ever injured in their disputes, so I don't think it's anything to worry about; amusing to watch, though.
Back to top Go down
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

Dwarf Guorami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Guorami   Dwarf Guorami EmptyFri Feb 23, 2007 1:59 am

You are right, it is very good fun to watch. I find it really interesting to watch them sort of try and stare each other out. They regularly have stand offs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dwarf Guorami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Guorami   Dwarf Guorami Empty

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Guorami
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Ultimate Fish Fan Site :: Labyrinth Fishes-
Jump to: