The Ultimate Fish Fan Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Ultimate Fish Fan Site

The Ultimate Forum For Fish Addicts!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss Empty
PostSubject: Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss   Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss EmptyWed Jan 31, 2007 1:11 pm

I have been looking at some of the ground covering plants on other websites and I noticed that some say that they require no gravel. Where as other require rich gravel. Does this relate to the nutrient content of the substrate in your tank?

Also with Java Moss and Willow Moss do i just need to basically anchor it to the bottom of the tank and then nature will do the rest?

I am really sorry if these are basic questions but this would be my first adventure into plants and so I just want to be sure. Also is it correct that with a good ground covering I wouls no longer need to clean the bottom of my tank with a gravel hoover?

Also could I plant a combination of the two moss would one suffocate the other?
Back to top Go down
Unlimitedfishboy
Admin
Unlimitedfishboy

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2007-01-14

PostSubject: Mosses   Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss EmptySun Feb 04, 2007 5:51 pm

Don't be ever afraid to ask questions (Even the very, very basic ones) on this forum, it's somewhere for you to learn about them!

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Generally, mosses do not require gravel or soil. You can simply tie them on bogwoods and rocks. It doesn't really relate to the nutrient content of your tank. Mosses can grow very well in an uncycled tank as well as a normal one.

2. It depends how you want to "use" it for. You can simply let it float, because after a few hours, the moss will eventually sink to the bottom of the tank. You can anchor them down if you like, or simply tie them on rocks or bogwoods.

3. You should still regularly clean the bottom of your tank, but I think you can do it less often. Mosses wouldn't really suffocate another one if they are given enough space to grow.

Hope all these helps Smile

Unlimitedfishboy
Back to top Go down
https://ultimateaquascape.forumotion.com
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

PostSubject: Re: Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss   Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss EmptyMon Feb 05, 2007 11:19 am

Thanks for the info Unlimitedfishboy Very Happy I am thinking of getting some java moss and willow moss very soon!!!!
Back to top Go down
dan9807
Mackerel
Mackerel
dan9807

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss   Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss EmptyTue Feb 06, 2007 3:19 am

Hey newbury_ian--good luck with the mosses! I have seen some amazing tank set ups with the moss tied to the driftwood. Post some pics. when you have it ready! Let me know how they work out--I have always wanted to try mosses.
Back to top Go down
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

PostSubject: Re: Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss   Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss EmptyTue Feb 06, 2007 11:34 am

I will certainly post some pics once I get the mosses in place. I also need to get some pics of my two otos. They are so cool and are probably my favourite fish that I have. Although sometimes they are very difficult to find. They seem to be very good at hiding even though there is nothing brown in my tank!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss   Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss Empty

Back to top Go down

Planting Java Moss/Willow Moss
Page 1 of 1