The Ultimate Fish Fan Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Ultimate Fish Fan Site

The Ultimate Forum For Fish Addicts!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

POND IN A POT

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MAGGIE
Mackerel
Mackerel
MAGGIE

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-04-06

POND IN A POT Empty
PostSubject: POND IN A POT   POND IN A POT EmptyMon Apr 23, 2007 7:51 pm

I don't own the land that my home sits on so I can't dig up the yard. So I decided to try something a little different. You've probably heard of the ponds in a barrel. where you use a half whiskey barrel to put pond plants in. Well I couln't locate a wooden half whiskey barrel and the fake one I found cost quite a bit. So I got the idea of creating one in a very large flower pot. Which was a lot less expensive.

I brought it home and put it on the deck where it gets morning and some afternoon sun and some afternoon and evening shade. I filled it up. It holds 14us gallons with 5 inches to spare to the top. I have to wait a few days before I can start putting any thing in it.

My plans are to put about 1/4 inch of gravel in the bottom.

Pond plants and maybe some plants from my aquarium that will do good outside. And maybe experiment with a few that I'm not to sure about just to see what happens.

Some non plant eating snails to help with the algae.

And about 3 small fish to keep the insects under control.

I've never created a pond in a pot before so if there is anyone out there with any experience in doing this please jump in with all the do's and don'ts that you have. Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
tetrabarb
Trout
Trout
tetrabarb

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-01-16

POND IN A POT Empty
PostSubject: Re: POND IN A POT   POND IN A POT EmptyMon Apr 23, 2007 11:40 pm

Well... did you think about the filter? And make sure it stays in the shade ar gets little sunlight because it could get way infested with algae. Also make sure you have something to move the water surface so that bugs and other things wont infest the water either. Just some stuff i thought was important... heres a picture of a pond i thought looked neat.

POND IN A POT Potted_ponds1
Back to top Go down
Unlimitedfishboy
Admin
Unlimitedfishboy

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2007-01-14

POND IN A POT Empty
PostSubject: Pot Pond   POND IN A POT EmptyTue Apr 24, 2007 12:30 am

What you need to consider when making a "Pot Pond" is where you place your pond, which should be in shade areas as Tetrabarb mentioned. I think placing it in half-shade might be a good idea if you are going to grow water plants. Don't put in direct sunlight as the water temperature may get too high. You should also be aware of winter frosts if you live in colder areas.

Good luck!

Unlimitedfishboy
Back to top Go down
https://ultimateaquascape.forumotion.com
MAGGIE
Mackerel
Mackerel
MAGGIE

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-04-06

POND IN A POT Empty
PostSubject: POND IN A POT   POND IN A POT EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 6:34 pm

I must say I really like the picture of the pond. I hope mine turns out to be as nice as that.

You two pointed out some good things to think about.
I did think about filtration and aeration. I've been to so many internet sites now that I decided to choose one that seemed to be pretty simple. Here is a link to the one that I chose....

http://www.jeffcook.com/hbpond.html

I've had the pond pot sitting on the deck for a few days now, in what I thought would be a good place.....Not!! I have to move it the water is getting too hot. I'm starting to think that location is going to become a challenge. I know that right spot has to be around here some where.
I'm hoping to find the right location soon so I can start putting some plants in before next week.

I went to my LFS and they are ordering in mosquito fish ( damnbusia ) next week for the pond owners.
I will be watching the fish closely. If I see any signs of stress or anything else I will add aeration, filtration or anything else that they might need.

My Winter plan is... Come Autumn Sept/Oct I will be bringing the plants, snails, and fish inside for the winter and set them up in a tank until the following spring where they will once again be taken outside for the Summer.

I'll keep you posted as things progress and let you know of the successes and failures that I encounter with this project. Maybe you can help point me in the right direction when trying to figure these things out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

POND IN A POT Empty
PostSubject: Re: POND IN A POT   POND IN A POT Empty

Back to top Go down

POND IN A POT
Page 1 of 1