The Ultimate Fish Fan Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Ultimate Fish Fan Site

The Ultimate Forum For Fish Addicts!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Otocinclus care and feeding

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Otocinclus care and feeding Empty
PostSubject: Otocinclus care and feeding   Otocinclus care and feeding EmptyTue Jan 30, 2007 11:46 am

I completed the stocking of my 10G tank last night with the addition of two Otocinclus. They seemed to settle in really well and are moving around quite a bit. One seems to love "hanging" around on the filter. They are quite difficult to spot sometimes as well. Razz

I was just asking though what is the best way to feed them I have read about giving them zucchini, but I have also read that they will eat carrot and peas as well. I am just concerned that there might not be enough algae in the tank to support both of them. Any suggestions would be great!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dan9807
Mackerel
Mackerel
dan9807

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus care and feeding   Otocinclus care and feeding EmptyThu Feb 01, 2007 5:18 am

I have kept otos before(4 in a 10 gallon--a little bit of overkill), and I supplemented their diet with some algae tablets-but I didn't see them eat them. I did not give them any extra food besides that and they survived well-until they were all killed or eaten by a golden wonder killifish, who died choking on the last one. I have read that you should supplement it with extra food, so I would suggest that, since I have seen that as well. I plan on doing that with my batch of 4 that i have right now.
You might want to keep an eye on them though--they have a tendency that when they are introduced into the aquarium, they will randomly die for no apparent reason--it happened to me like 3 times before--really annoying. all my water parameters were fine. I have heard other stories of that as well.
Have fun with the otos! I like them a lot.
Back to top Go down
tetrabarb
Trout
Trout
tetrabarb

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus care and feeding   Otocinclus care and feeding EmptyThu Feb 01, 2007 6:34 pm

I have also attempted feeding my otos with algae wafers but never saw them eat it...
I also had otos mysterious deaths too:P
Back to top Go down
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus care and feeding   Otocinclus care and feeding EmptyWed Feb 07, 2007 1:07 pm

Fortunately it has been over a week since I bought the Otos and introduced them to my tank and they both are alive and well. I am still a bit concerned that they don't seem to eat anything. I might try a bit of Courgette (Zucchini in the US) again and see if it goes any better. Should I peel it first or just put it in with the skin on?
Back to top Go down
tetrabarb
Trout
Trout
tetrabarb

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus care and feeding   Otocinclus care and feeding EmptyThu Feb 08, 2007 1:23 am

slice it into pieces, you could take the skin off too as they will not eat it.
Back to top Go down
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus care and feeding   Otocinclus care and feeding EmptyFri Feb 09, 2007 2:18 pm

tetrabarb wrote:
slice it into pieces, you could take the skin off too as they will not eat it.

Sorry to sound thick but when you say pieces do you mean slices or do you mean even smaller pieces that they would be able to swallow?
Back to top Go down
Unlimitedfishboy
Admin
Unlimitedfishboy

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2007-01-14

PostSubject: Oto   Otocinclus care and feeding EmptyFri Feb 09, 2007 10:21 pm

They should be slices just like the size we eat. If you cut them into small pieces, they will polluted your water easily as they can be sucked into the filter. Feed only ONE slice each time (about a centimetre thick) and add or reduce the feeding amount depending on the otos you have. Remove the uneaten courgette at the end of each day and supply them with a new slice everyday.

Good luck! Very Happy

Unlimitedfishboy
Back to top Go down
https://ultimateaquascape.forumotion.com
newbury_ian
Trout
Trout
newbury_ian

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus care and feeding   Otocinclus care and feeding EmptySun Feb 11, 2007 3:16 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely do that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus care and feeding   Otocinclus care and feeding Empty

Back to top Go down

Otocinclus care and feeding
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Ultimate Fish Fan Site :: Catfishes-
Jump to: